Local Licks-The Homegrown Show on 98.9 The Bear

Talk about anything specifically related to local music. Local CD's, websites, local, local, local!

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Deaths right hand

Post by Deaths right hand »

Its funny that the radio stations are always looking for something good to play but they wont play anything that is good.
In my opinion if you are going to do a local music show it should be with bands that no one has heard before not the same bands that you can hear and see every weekend
opinions are like ass holes we all have one!.....
keep your freinds close cuz they may be gone tomorrow.
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

And isn't it funny that a troll, who probably hasn't submitted a thing to the show for them to play, bitches about how the show doesn't play anything "good"?

Maybe the reason the show highlights bands that you can see each weekend, is cause THOSE ARE THE BANDS THAT GET OFF THEIR ASS AND CONTRIBUTE. The same bands that have a tendency to practice, get booked, and play their music in public....are the ones that will take the time to record their stuff, and send it in. It's called promotion.

Instead of bitching, try sending your stuff in. If it's any good, maybe it'll get played. If not....well, that's another subject entirely. But at least you tried.

That address again....and keep in mind this isn't even my station--

The Bear's Local Licks
Attn: Stiller
1005 Production Road
Ft. Wayne IN 46808

If you REALLY think you've got what it takes, instead of just being a wanna-be that wants to get his/her ego stroked on the radio, send TWO copies, and a note to pass one along to me.....
TINY....
-----------------------------------
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

also occasionally on 92.3 The Fort

Still waiting on confirmation of my new Harrison Square condominium purchase.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

Admittedly, I haven't listened to the show, but I got a question - this is a local show, but does it encompass various genres of local music (i.e. experimental, hip-hop, jam, etc.) or just "rock"??

....Just wondered

:)
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
Deaths right hand

Hey Tiny,
Its funny that you would presume to tear me one when you dont know who I am.
FOR YOUR INFO I did send in a promo for my band about 1 year ago and it was deneid cuz we were too heavy.
I have called in numerous times for the station to play a song from the disc and the reply I get is ,,,,,Oh sorry dude we dont have anything by you guys (CRYPTIC) so either someone at the station is a theif or someone is a f#*king liar.
As far as promotion goes My Band has played all over the midwest and we even managed to make it all the way to NEW YORK CITY
not to mention the 2 metal fest we have thrown at LEGENDS(BLOOD FEST1&2) to promote metal bands from other states
so with all that to digest maybe you should sit behind your desk and shut the hell up.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

tiny wrote:maybe it'll get played.
Keywords.

Radio is a privately owned business to be run the way the owners see fit.

It owes nothing, to no one.... except to their advertisers.

Everyone complains, even me. But this is free-market society and anyone with the money can own their own station, and play whatever they damn well please.

Be glad that they are doing anything at all for the local scene.

Badmouthing anyone who has the POTENTIAL to air your stuff is a sure-fire way NOT to see it happen.
Deaths right hand

Radio is a corporate owned buisness.
I`m not complaining that they are not doing anything for the scene, the scene here needs all the help it can get!
If it hasnt gotten played yet it will never get played which is fine we were very underground as far as heavy metal goes. I`m just pointing out that They won`t play everything from around the local listening area that is local or homegrown or whatever.
DropListBass
Regular
Regular

Post by DropListBass »

If you are submitting somethig to a radio station to be aired ...you have to understand that the radio station is already "taking one for the team" by playing an unknown song. For that we thank you. That being already known you have to realize that they are already taking the chance that listeners will turn the station....cause we all know the the average listener is not into hearing music unfamiliar. So it is very rude of us to be upset if they deem the music too heavy or non radio friendly. I mean when you write music you know its radio friendly or not. If you realize that its not...then why be upset when its not played???? Just because a song is heavy doesnt mean it cannot be radio friendly...so if you want to be played on the radio...you have to be willing to format your mujsic accordingly. If you choose not to care about these things...thats cool ...but dont get upset when someone from a radio station says "its too heavy, or its too long, or its just plain unlistenable" Music is art...but its also buisness.....plain and simple.
If I knew it was going to be that kinnda party...Id stick my d@#* in the mashed potatoes!

DROP LIST IS NOW A FULL BAND!!!!!
Check us out:
http://www.myspace.com/droplist
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

^ understands how the machine works.
Deaths right hand

That is understandable but if it is a local music show then it should not discriminate against any band or music. If it is to support the local music scene then it shouldnt matter what it sounds like. If the scene is that picky then it will stay stagnant and die
There are alot of very good musicians and bands, but there is no support amongst the majority of the individual bands and musicians.
Lehmans terms;, they all seem to hate each other.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

R7Bass wrote: dont get upset when someone from a radio station says "its too heavy, or its too long, or its just plain unlistenable" Music is art...but its also buisness.....plain and simple.
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Deaths right hand wrote: There are alot of very good musicians and bands, but there is no support amongst the majority of the individual bands and musicians.
Lehmans terms;, they all seem to hate each other.
Maybe in your circle but most ALL the bands I know, see and like have a pretty solid personal and professional friendship and working relationship.

Most of which are posters on this very forum.
Myrddin
Regular
Regular

Post by Myrddin »

Fort Wayne music rules!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/sharkmansix/jedimaster.jpg[/img]
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

R7bass wrote:
So it is very rude of us to be upset if they deem the music too heavy or non radio friendly. I mean when you write music you know its radio friendly or not. If you realize that its not...then why be upset when its not played????
Fair words...and true.

Let me try, Death's right hand, to address your points as i 'digest them from behind my desk'.

Naah...not even gonna waste my time. Bottom line....You've chosen to create something that isn't mainstream, or radio friendly....and then you cryass around because radio doesn't find it usable.

Guess you're screwed, huh?

NO ONE ever said that ANY radio station would play 'everything' from around the local listening area. Hell, we don't play 'everything' from mainstream, nationally known artists. And each radio station that DOES take a chance on local music on the air does, admittedly, stick (within reason) to the type of music they normally play. Wild 96.3 doesn't play metal. The Bear doesn't do hip-hop. Go figure.

A year ago, no one in the building was doing a local show. So your disc probably doesn't exist, despite your insistance that thieves or liars are at fault. Doesn't fit the format--goes in the trash. Pretty simple and straightforward there.

So you go on playing deep underground heavy metal, and create your music, and play to a hundred people at Legends, and we'll go on sitting behind our desks, programming multi-million dollar businesses, and supporting local -- and national--bands that create music that we believe our tens of thousands of listeners will enjoy.

Best of luck in your musical career. Genuinely. And no hard feelings.
TINY....
TINY TUNES Event and Entertainment Services -Mobile Music, Pro Sound, Booking and Event Planning
tinytunesdjs.com

adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

tiny wrote:cryass

you'll need to send .05 cents to Oliver's Army, please.
tiny
Regular
Regular

Post by tiny »

The...um....the money order...no, wait....

the check......

is.....

in the mail. Yeah. In the mail.

Or Ollie can just come by with change for a quarter.

:D
TINY....
tinytunesdjs.com