Study abroad

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

jforbes
I Been Around
I Been Around

Study abroad

Post by jforbes »

One of my best friends is going to the Marines, most others are several hundred miles from home at other colleges, So I only have three or four good friends in the Fort Wayne Area, really considering a semester or two in London, of France, gonna be expensive. But does anyone know if it is worth it. Any Insight would be a great help,
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

I would highly recommend it.

First, do you decently speak a foreign language? If so, pick a country that has that language and jump in with both feet.

If you don't, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Australia, and several European countries would be highly recommended. I personally would recommend the Far East as that's going to be our largest trading partner for the forseeable future.
jforbes
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by jforbes »

I speak bad French, considered England, Ireland, Germany, Japan would be cool though, don't know about other countries in the far east.
A former professor of mine made a very good point to me..
If you want to succeed in business, in the future, ahh.. Learn Mandarin Chinese.
"Treat a man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he can be."
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

Learn Mandarin Chinese.
Only if you like to b*tch at suppliers in their native language. :lol:

China does not have the deepest scientific talent, unlike the United States. Same with Japan, great engineers, crappy inventors. The culture just doesn't allow for mind-blowing innovation.

Personally, any language (Chinese, Indian, Japanese) will only help you. None will automatically make you successful.

If you have never travelled overseas, Ireland and Britain will be good places to start. The cultures are similar, American's are somewhat tolerated over there, and there's no massive language barrier. Hit Dublin or London for the best effect.
jforbes
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by jforbes »

Good advice so where would you recommend,
"Treat a man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he can be."
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

Don't neglect Central/Eastern Europe, Prague (Czech Republic) is an amazing city.
david sumner
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by david sumner »

Oh, I've been to Prague. Well, I haven't "been to Prague" been to Prague, but I know that thing, that, "Stop shaving your armpits, read the Unbearable Lightness of Being, date a sculptor, now I know how bad American beer is thing..."
WOLVERINES!

[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/nodpresion/sideshowbob.jpg[/img][img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/nodpresion/fatduritz.jpg[/img]
boxofrocks
Regular
Regular

Post by boxofrocks »

My cousin went to school in England about 7 years ago and liked it so much she never came back.
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Post by rezin »

amsterdam...
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
jforbes
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by jforbes »

That would be cool except i don't want to smoke pot!
rezin

Post by rezin »

i know its only natural to associate amsterdam with weed, but its such a beautiful city...

never been, seen many pictures, know some people that went for the cannabis cup a few years ago...

and so much culture too...

damn...

i wanna go...
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
bwohlgemuth
Addict
Addict

Post by bwohlgemuth »

London - safe (as in closest to American culture). Use common sense, or you will get mugged.
Dublin - Techie area, different culture, more laid back
Edinburgh - IT'S IN SCOTLAND, YOU PANSY!
Swansea - Been there, it's beautiful and a nice small town to start out in.

Find a school you are comfortable with. Start there....

And if you have to get a work permit, that may help the decision.
jforbes
I Been Around
I Been Around

Post by jforbes »

Got to work now so probably will over their too

Just don't know if they have a need for welders across the pond though
The Bongwater Mermaids

Post by The Bongwater Mermaids »

I highly recommend working abroad. You will learn more about your country and yourself by "getting out of the bubble" and looking back in. I have traveled extensively through the US, Europe, and Asia. I settled for 3 years in NE Asia (S Korea). The money is good if you find the right gig. But the experiences that you will have are going to be priceless.

"You haven't been born until you get out of town and see where you are from!"
Don't Drink the Water
Aero
Regular
Regular

Post by Aero »

And don't just go to English-speaking countries because they're "safe zones". Be a little more adventurous and you'll learn even more about life