Diners Drive-Ins and Dives

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

G Fresh
RockStar
RockStar

Post by G Fresh »

adam atherton wrote:can't wait to break in the backyard at the new house.
Let me know when. I'm planning on making a trip up there soon anyway to see my new nephew and if I can get in some Atherton's World Famous Backyard Grilling time as well, well that's a huge superbonus.
http://www.myspace.com/matthewgates
http://www.youtube.com/MattyGFresh
Support Local Original Music
rezin
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal
lib-mod cannibal Norwegian deth metal

Re: Diners Drive-Ins and Dives

Post by rezin »

MrSpall wrote:Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, one of my favorite shows on the Food Network is accepting submissions for places they can visit in their upcoming season. Generally they look for local, family-owned type of joints that make kick-ass food. I was thinking about the Fort and I'm pretty sure they could do an entire episode just on our local flavors. I want to give them a good list of places to visit in Fort Wayne, so I'm compiling now. Any suggestions for additions/subtractions? Here's the list as it stands now.

Power's
Cindy's Diner
Hall's Drive-In
Downtown Pizza
Munchie's Emporium
Coney Island
Klemm's
King Gyro's
Chuckwagon
hmm.

i like the downtown pizza idea, as ive been a customer since day 2, haha.

sadly, luke sold the shop to some new people, so id say cut them off the list, as i dont think they embody what downtown pizza is.

my vote goes to coney island for sure.

powers is too small for guy and a camera man, haha.

i love his show, but i think hes kind of a douche, maybe its just his look.
www.myspace.com/hillgrassbluebillyfw / www.dirtyfootfamily.com
www.myspace.com/rolandogreenisaturd
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Re: Diners Drive-Ins and Dives

Post by MrSpall »

rezin wrote:
MrSpall wrote:Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, one of my favorite shows on the Food Network is accepting submissions for places they can visit in their upcoming season. Generally they look for local, family-owned type of joints that make kick-ass food. I was thinking about the Fort and I'm pretty sure they could do an entire episode just on our local flavors. I want to give them a good list of places to visit in Fort Wayne, so I'm compiling now. Any suggestions for additions/subtractions? Here's the list as it stands now.

Power's
Cindy's Diner
Hall's Drive-In
Downtown Pizza
Munchie's Emporium
Coney Island
Klemm's
King Gyro's
Chuckwagon
hmm.

i like the downtown pizza idea, as ive been a customer since day 2, haha.

sadly, luke sold the shop to some new people, so id say cut them off the list, as i dont think they embody what downtown pizza is.

my vote goes to coney island for sure.

powers is too small for guy and a camera man, haha.

i love his show, but i think hes kind of a douche, maybe its just his look.
They sold Downtown Pizza? Nooooooo! I loved that place. I haven't been by in a couple months, been living on the wrong end of town. When did this happen?

I sent the email last night with Power's and Cindy's getting the focus. I did throw in a bunch of stuff about the great gyros and coneys that can be found here as well. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

Guy does look a bit douchish, but I usually enjoy the show.
Now if only we could get A.B. to bring Road Tasted through here . . . :)
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by WBOB »

Under the "dive" category I submit "The Pantry"....
the last remaining one at the corner of Wells/4th
(not counting B.E.Fish.)

Less is always more
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I don't get the Coney Island thing - at all. You can get better coneys in almost every big city in the country, and that includes a rather big chain in Cincinnati just 3 hours south of us. It may be a Fort Wayne landmark, but the coneys are just not very good. Of course that's just my opinion.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

bassjones wrote:I don't get the Coney Island thing - at all. You can get better coneys in almost every big city in the country, and that includes a rather big chain in Cincinnati just 3 hours south of us. It may be a Fort Wayne landmark, but the coneys are just not very good. Of course that's just my opinion.
Agreed.

I've eaten at coney island, jeff's coney (in georgetown) and a coney place in kendalville. They are all decent, but not, WOW, this is the best dog I've ever eaten.

I love dogs, but throw a little chili on one at home and steam the buns and I am just as happy...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Your experience with a Coney Island dog is not limited to *just* the dog itself.

Forest>trees.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I see your point. The atmosphere is cool, just what you'd want a dive to be like, but IMHO the food has to be on par with the atmosphere, especially for a PBS special. I loved their hot dog stand special they did, and noticed our little Coney Island didn't make the show...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Speaking of which...FW needs a friggin' Skyline Chili. Damnit.
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by deek »

Oliver's Army wrote:Your experience with a Coney Island dog is not limited to *just* the dog itself.

Forest>trees.
Okay, it was crowded and cramped...granted, I've usually only eaten there during lunch hours...

I understand what you are saying, but this is Food Network. Its all about the food and I can't see Guy looking at the camera, taking a bite of a coney dog saying that its amazing.

Maybe, because of the atmosphere, Coney Island could make a few minutes on a show about throwback eateries...get some history and whatnot...but that's about it.
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

I can assure you that the food the guy is eating is not all that he implies.

He selling the show and the oddities that it provides.

He would say it kicked ass even if tasted like roadkill. He need to kiss the butt of the dive owner for letting them shoot, keep the producers of the show happy with snappy banter and ooohs and aaahs, and entertain his audience,

Taste and smell are two of the most active memory senses.

Again, Coney Island is not about the dogs.

Its about going as a kid, or hanging with a date, or knowing the history of the place, or giving a crap about family traditions.

YES it a freaking chili dog.

But when you eat one its about all the *other* attached sensory-flashbacks.

I suppose if they created the worlds best fuggin dog, most people would hate it because of its lack of authenticity.

"This isn't the dog I remember" = FAILURE

Many a franchise had bellied up because new owners wanted to "fix" the recipe.

I am sorry that some people dont *get* the Coney. You are missing out on some really great sensations.
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Yeah, yeah... it smells bad and it's crowded and the food is terrible, but Original Coney Island is an institution.

As for an appearance on Food Network, I can't see it.

All the places Guy goes have a hook, and "everybody 'round here has loved it for over 66 years" really isn't enough. They either feature a whacky menu, or an incongruous one, or they have a great visual to offer.

That's why I voted for Arnold's. The menu is dead simple, but the collection of memorabilia tons of fun, they got the girls on skates, the car on the roof, all that kinda stuff plus the owner is a hot chick with a brassy style and a great laugh.

Coney Island is a fine local experience. Arnold's is TV Ready.

And you're right that the food Guy is eating isn't "all that." It's "money." Let's get that straight, or it's gonna be on like Donkey Kong.
MrSpall
Addict
Addict

Post by MrSpall »

Tell me more about this Arnold's place. I don't think I've ever been there or heard of it. I've only lived in the Fort for a few years.
www.myspace.com/the1947californiacupcakecompany

www.indianajoshandtheblogofdoom.blogspot.com

We all live in a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo, a purple kangaroo
Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Arnold's Rock And Roll Drive-In is on US 27 in Decatur, just a few blocks into town on your left. A former Penquin Point, Lori Collier turned it into Arnold's by decorating the joint with her remarkable collection of pop culture memorabilia and allowing visitors to sign the ceiling and walls. "Justly famous since 1997," Arnold's has carhops on skates for curb service and two distinct dining areas, one largely 50s and the other largely 60s and 70s stuff. A favorite of car clubs and road trippers from near and far. Burgers so good your tongue will beat your brain to death. Seriously, it's good beef, seared hot... I routinely eat them with no condiments at all, even though they are offered with a pretty wide variety of toppings (the Blue Moon, with mushrooms and bleu cheese, is a local fave).

DO NOT even think about ordering the fried bologna sandwich (the "Fonzie," I think they call it). It's not like your mom made, with slices of b'loney on the grill. It's a solid 1/4 chunk of bologna deep fried and thrown on a bun. I did not make this up.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Silencio wrote:DO NOT even think about ordering the fried bologna sandwich (the "Fonzie," I think they call it). It's not like your mom made, with slices of b'loney on the grill. It's a solid 1/4 chunk of bologna deep fried and thrown on a bun. I did not make this up.
My grandmother just turned over in her grave. She used to buy bologna by the roll and slice it herself. 1/4" was a thin slice for her.

Thanks for the info, Silencio. This sounds like my kind of place.*

* Not to mention it sounds pretty much the exact replica of my "dream" restaurant if I were to ever open my own. Awesome. Themed dining rooms with that era's music playing along with that era's memoribilia, etc.