New ampitheatre coming to Fort Wayne...

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

Silencio
RockStar
RockStar

Post by Silencio »

Hold the phone, there, Ollie, let's not be getting all imaginative and sh*t.

------------

Seriously, I can't even believe this thread. In my day, we all played Gary DOane's Swinney Park gigs on a rickety four-piece portable stage, and I mean ALL of us... Sunstorm & Seabolt, Petra, Gas Food & Lodging, Sterling, Sheba (this was the 70s, okay?), and we rocked the place, playing for hundreds of people on a good weekend.

If somebody had told us that Fort Wayne was going to build an outdoor amphitheater in a park downtown, we would have crawled over each other to play for Parks Dept. chump change.

I guess it would have been much hipper to stand around with our arms folded proclaiming that nobody was gonna pull the wool over OUR eyes, brudda.
Last edited by Silencio on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Oliver's Army wrote:Let me explain.

For year round concerts we have the Embassy, the Coliseum, The coliseum Expo, Scottish Rite etc etc

Th Foellinger has restrictions placed on it by it because of noise so effectively a *real* concert is never going to happen there.

An outdoor theatre, not unlike most cities theatres, is about an 'event' atmosphere.

YES I understand that cold weather is going to shut it down. Yes I understand that it exposed to the elements.

What it seems people are not getting is that in cities that have a vibrant downtown, an outdoor theatre is a *part* of a larger picture to encourage people to come.

This is a multi purpose use facility.

What if every Friday night local bands played showcases?

What if every ethnic group used it for its type of music?

Plays?
exhibitions?
Whatever the hell you want it for.

This is not going to pull in a (insert your favorite huge touring band here) every week, but it sure can be used for other "music" events

Its never going to be the Coliseum, but it is certainly WAY less expensive that building another enclosed venue.

Look at most Metro cities. Almost all of them have a venue just like this.

Somewhere in size between the Coliseum and Columbia Street there has got to be a place that draws people downtown, is affordable and multi-purposed.

Forest>trees
=D> =D>
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.