New ampitheatre coming to Fort Wayne...

Non-music discussion. Discuss things that are on your mind or things that don't have anything to do with music. Lets try to keep it clean people, there are little children present.

Moderators: zenmandan, MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93

WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: ....in the express lane

Post by WBOB »

cwallace wrote:I should clarify my stance on these 'projects'...it isn't that I am AGAINST growth and progress and giving the people things to do, but the projects that they have slated and are now in the works do NOT fit what this town needs...

If this town could sustain a venue like that then why are there not private developers lining up to make it happen...

The best approach to this would have been to offer up 120 million dollars in tax incentives to encourage PRIVATE companies to invest their money into this town.

We are loosing industry at record pace...we can't even get long standing companies to grow and expand in town. We are loosing them not only to larger more developed cities, but even to the 'outskirts' of town.

Sweetwater...why are they not moving TOWARDS the town and taking advantage of acre upon acre of unused land WITHIN the city? Why are they heading out into the sticks? We should have given them anything and EVERYTHING they wanted in order to KEEP them in this town...yeah they are just down the road, but it is only a small example of how even locally owned and operated businesses are flocking OUT of the grasp of the city...a city that seems to only concern itself with lining the pockets of the politicians that run it...it isn't about the people...it is about a few councilmen being able to flip property on YOUR dime...

Yes a stadium is a great 'idea', but when it was brought to the city as an INDOOR venue that would be much larger than the coliseum and host the komets and MANY great concerts that even the expanded coliseum can't provide us it was 'shunned' by this town...now however the town (the city council elect) has managed to find a way to use our TAX money to build something that nobody seems to want...

So to state fact...I am all about progress. As long as the progress is THOUGHT THROUGH and done WITHOUT ulterior motives as this 'project' has the stink of...

Bring in PRIVATE businesses that involve the company living up to some level of MERIT and not a guaranteed paycheck because they know someone who landed them a job...need I mention Randy Brown...someone who needs ONLY to keep status quo and filter money out to the right people...

Chris
80/20 rule applies!
.


Less is always more
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:47 pm
Location: Fort Wayne
Contact:

Post by cwallace »

80/20?

Chris
deek
Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:31 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Contact:

Post by deek »

I think that's the one that states 20% of the "x" accounts for 80% of the "y". So, 20% of the businesses in town create 80% of the revenue or whatnot...so you keep that 20% happy because they do the majority of whatever...

I know in the insurance industry, we do as much as we can to keep the top 20% of policy sellers happy, because they do 80% of our business...
[url=http://www.deeksworld.com]deek's World[/url]
WBOB
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: ....in the express lane

Post by WBOB »

deek wrote:I think that's the one that states 20% of the "x" accounts for 80% of the "y". So, 20% of the businesses in town create 80% of the revenue or whatnot...so you keep that 20% happy because they do the majority of whatever...

I know in the insurance industry, we do as much as we can to keep the top 20% of policy sellers happy, because they do 80% of our business...
good man! :wink:
.


Less is always more
cwallace
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:47 pm
Location: Fort Wayne
Contact:

Post by cwallace »

Well that 20% better be ready to sit in some rain...;)

Chris
=^-..-^=
FEED ME!
FEED ME!
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Rockin' the CatBox

Post by =^-..-^= »

God bless Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80/20_rule


Not sure how it's applied in this case, though. . .explain.
"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray." -Mark Twain

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
Ayn Rand

". . .and the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw."
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:59 pm
Location: Location, Location.

Post by adam atherton »

you wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time.

i f**k 20% of my wife 80% of the time.

i hate 20% of the people i work with 80% of the time.

thus and so......it's pythagorean, if you look at it.
Al Quandt
General Manager / Design
General Manager / Design
Posts: 3279
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:39 am
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Contact:

Post by Al Quandt »

adam atherton wrote:
i f**k 20% of my wife 80% of the time.
.
Just curious what goes on the other 20%
Wallace, stop hacking my sig!
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:59 pm
Location: Location, Location.

Post by adam atherton »

nacho sauce.
Al Quandt
General Manager / Design
General Manager / Design
Posts: 3279
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:39 am
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Contact:

Post by Al Quandt »

adam atherton wrote:nacho sauce.
nuff said
Wallace, stop hacking my sig!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member
Posts: 4248
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 1:36 pm
Contact:

Post by bassjones »

80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. Same rule applies in every organization.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Aero
Regular
Regular
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:47 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Contact:

Post by Aero »

adam atherton wrote:
thus and so......it's pythagorean, if you look at it.
hey, I'm half-pythagorean so watch what you say, dude.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Posts: 4041
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: 46825
Contact:

Post by The_Dude »

I've had enough of this thead. There's too much math and stuff.
Cale
I Been Around
I Been Around
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:43 am
Contact:

Post by Cale »

Oliver's Army wrote:Anyone whos been to Summerfest knows the success of an outdoor venue is not about the weather.
You answered it right there Ollie: SUMMERfest. I'll stand out in the warm July rain all day to catch a good show but I can't recall a MID-FEBUARYfest that brought them in by the droves. It's limiting from the get-go, that's all I'm sayin...
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time
Posts: 3205
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:14 pm

Post by Oliver's Army »

Let me explain.

For year round concerts we have the Embassy, the Coliseum, The coliseum Expo, Scottish Rite etc etc

Th Foellinger has restrictions placed on it by it because of noise so effectively a *real* concert is never going to happen there.

An outdoor theatre, not unlike most cities theatres, is about an 'event' atmosphere.

YES I understand that cold weather is going to shut it down. Yes I understand that it exposed to the elements.

What it seems people are not getting is that in cities that have a vibrant downtown, an outdoor theatre is a *part* of a larger picture to encourage people to come.

This is a multi purpose use facility.

What if every Friday night local bands played showcases?

What if every ethnic group used it for its type of music?

Plays?
exhibitions?
Whatever the hell you want it for.

This is not going to pull in a (insert your favorite huge touring band here) every week, but it sure can be used for other "music" events

Its never going to be the Coliseum, but it is certainly WAY less expensive that building another enclosed venue.

Look at most Metro cities. Almost all of them have a venue just like this.

Somewhere in size between the Coliseum and Columbia Street there has got to be a place that draws people downtown, is affordable and multi-purposed.




Forest>trees
Post Reply