ONE GREAT NIGHT IN FORT WAYNE FOR MUSIC LOVERS

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

sharkmansix
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by sharkmansix »

I'll admit it, I've voted and then bolted.

And you know what, I paid my money to get into the door; so I can vote however I please. Paying the cover entitles me to vote. I'll also leave when I want to because I'm under no obligation to stay.

Sure it's nice to stay and see the bands but it isn't always practical. There are a lot of people who want to support acts but do not want to stay at a bar until late into the next morning.

:shock:
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

I rest my case.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

conley wrote:When it comes to the voting system in the Battle of the Bands, I think it all ends up being kind of a "wash". I just noticed that a couple of bands that are still in the BOTB are also performing at the Whatzup anniversary party. Who do you think the folks from Whatzup prefer to listen to? To be fair, when those bands perform during the BOTB, nobody from Whatzup should have a vote - it's an extreme conflict of interest. My point is that sure, the fan voting is not exactly a perfect system, but neither is the Judge voting. Because of these imperfections, it's probably a "wash".
Hi Mike!

I understand what you're saying, but I think the judges do a pretty good job of being open-minded and fair. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to judge that isn't biased in some fashion....

Oh, and there's actually a committee- outside of Whatzup - that has had input in the Conservatory Concert Series & Anniversary show.
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
mkelley
One Lucky Trainhopper
One Lucky Trainhopper

Post by mkelley »

I was there Tuesday and I was told how to vote.

Of course, I didn't listen.

Honestly, I do think it's more of a fan thing than a band thing. I give bands the benefit of the doubt on this one. Everytime I've been "coached" on voting it has been by a fan. It's also happened every time I've been to a Battle (admittedly I average about one a year).

Also, ALL voting methodologys are inevitably going to be b*tched about and questioned. We live in the most advanced country in the world (for now) and our voting system is a wreck (Indecision 2000 anyone?). And check it out in Mexico right this very moment, they're gonna have to flip a coin to determine their new president because everything is so screwed up from the vote.

So yeah, it's flawed. Could it be worse? Oh yes. Could it be better? Maybe. It's be an interesting experiment to run the numbers for BOB III an examine them strictly from the first-place voting perspective, to see what would change.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

conley wrote:I hear you Zach, that being the case, some of your fans may do it, as well.

I'm pretty sure I addressed that earlier in this thread Mike.
johnpoe25
Troll
Troll

Post by johnpoe25 »

Everyone can talk about this til they are blue in the face.. and it's never gonna change... Its a strategy for the fans.. it s fun for them to see "their band win". Maybe not everyone likes the "popular" band, or they would just like to see the new band that actually rocks win. I didn't realize how serious this was for some of you. There is too much tension. We should all just be happy someone is supporting another local Fort Wayne band. Its a contest.. people play dirty to get what they want, no one is perfect. I personally know a couple of the bands competing. ... some being included in this discussion, and I know for a fact they don't persuade their voters... besides, advertising for the event.. and saying "vote ___ ___". The fans are the ones swaying other fans... who cares if you vote a potential good band last, maybe that person doesn't like them as much as you, or its just a good move.. Chill the hell out people, Just be happy you get a chance to hear or play in the BOTB.. not everyone has that talent.. so be happy with what you got...
Sorry, I am all over the place... I mean no harm, just hate to see good people complain and argue!!
SHAWN
The King of ALLCAPS-Core.

Post by SHAWN »

OK, listen up.

The Migraines came in last and I couldn't begin to care less. I've already wasted too much time reading through this nonsense.

Does anyone truly care about winning? Have Fort Wayne musicians reduced themselves down to this?

I played this thing because for a very small fee, I got tons of promotion for The Migraines that I couldn't afford otherwise. Not to mention that I played with three awesome bands and had a complete blast! Ya'll were amazing by the way. I was honored to have share the stage with each and every one of you!

In my mind, we won because we kicked serious heiny, not because some judges opinion said so, or because we brought the most people. We came, we saw, we. . . you know.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, everyone please stop whinning like little emo kids.

Perform your art and let whatever happens, happen.

I'm not sure of the author of this quote, but I've heard it said "when music becomes competition, it ceases to be art". Sure, my songs may not be as artsy and high brow as some of yours, but ROCK AND ROLL IS MY ART, BABY!!!

If I wanna compete, I'll join a flippin' softball team!!!!

EVERYONE KEEP THE FORT WAYNE MUSIC SCENE KICKIN' MAJOR ARSE AND STOP WHINNING LIKE LITTLE SISSIES!!!!

Regards,
Shawn
LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. . .
Oliver's Army
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Oliver's Army »

Are you okay Shawn?

I found your post hard to read BECAUSE IT WASN'T ALL CAPS.

hehehehehe

Good mindset to have about the BOTB though. Kudos.
GxWxLx
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by GxWxLx »

Nice work, Shawn ... I love it!

... and for the record, I wish that softball team idea Jericho was throwing around in the early Spring would've panned out.
SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

Yup, I'm better than ever! I just get weary of crybaby crap!

As far as the softball team goes. . .

I WILL COMPETE IN THAT!!!! <-----all caps for Oli! hehe.

Everyone have a plethora of harmonious interactions with your fellow humans,
Shawn
SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

That's what I'm saying, er. . .actually, I didn't say that at all, but that's what I was thinking!!
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

I don't consider my remarks as whining or "crybaby crap". I'm pretty sure I was pointing out a serious, yet easily remedied, flaw in the audience voting system for the Battle.

Greg said in another thread that the system was culled from other battles in other cities by the powers that be. How about making up your own system? I'm not the only guy that thinks its pretty terrible.
SHAWN

Post by SHAWN »

Massage...Bored wrote:I don't consider my remarks as whining or "crybaby crap". I'm pretty sure I was pointing out a serious, yet easily remedied, flaw in the audience voting system for the Battle.

Greg said in another thread that the system was culled from other battles in other cities by the powers that be. How about making up your own system? I'm not the only guy that thinks its pretty terrible.
And I was not singling you out. I'm just saying this battle o' bands is being taken wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously. No attack on you, Zack! You know I wouldn't do that. However, since you brought it up, do you think that one little change in the voting system will make everyone happy? If not happy, will it change the flawed outcome of voting? It'll still be a popularity contest.

So again i say. .. JUST ROCK!!!!

Rock on,
Shawn
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

I'm well aware that it still a popularity contest. But an audience shouldn't be allowed to critique the bands on their ballots. They should vote for the one band that they wish to win that night and so be it. Its the judges job to critique the bands (being a former judge, I can say that the list of items is a great one) and they do. Would a "one vote for one band" ballot cure the Stratego-fan voting b.s. You bet it would.
flapjacks
RockStar
RockStar

Post by flapjacks »

it sounds like i need to hear sketch machine live sometine. i wasn't a big fan of their song on essentials 9 but if they beat LLC and migraines i should probably check them out.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4453/davidhasselhoff2gc.jpg[/img][/url]

David hasselhoff, a rocket of dissapointment