ONE GREAT NIGHT IN FORT WAYNE FOR MUSIC LOVERS

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I'd prefer you pay the bills with sponsorship, keep the entry free and have the bands volunteer to play for the Maumee Music Festival. I don't mind doing that sort of thing, in fact I think it's great. I don't like it when other people are making money off the backs of musicians and the musicians don't get paid though. If I have anything to do with it, NoRA will play charity gigs all the time - for charities and worthy causes - but I think all of us agreeing to the BOTB setup sets everyone back. Then again, it is good exposure...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

The_Dude wrote:Well said, Brad, and I totally agree BUT I would counter with this...

You knew what you were signing up for.
Yes, you're right about that... It's great exposure, but maybe not smart business, and overall, maybe not good for the health of the scene...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-

www.bradjonesbass.com
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

MynameisJenn wrote: 50% of this is based on popularity(how many friends you have to pay 4 bucks for you) and 50% is based on people who are made to listen to local music they may or may not like for most of the summer....

I really feel that LLC got second because of the sh*tty audience voting system that is stiil in place in this competition. No bad vibes to the "winners" (I say that cause two bands moved on) but if you can muster all of your fans to place one of the best bands of the night last on all of your voted first place ballots, I don't know that just seems like dirty pool. Thats some ridiculous "Survivor" tactics that don't need to be brought into the competition.

If you have to strategically screw another band's chances of advancing because you don't know if you'll move on or not, then you don't need to be in the competition in the first place.

Can you tell I hate the voting system for this yet?

One vote for one band.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

I mean, you are supposed to vote for how you would rate the bands, not "put these guys last because they are really good and they have a lot of people here for them".
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Massage...Bored wrote:I mean, you are supposed to vote for how you would rate the bands, not "put these guys last because they are really good and they have a lot of people here for them".
Agreed, and I hope none of our fans did that... If they did, it might have ended up biting us in the butt in the end anyway. I'm assuming that's what happened to you guys last year too.

One vote, one band seems like a good idea to me.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

I'm in no way bitter about last year, btw, I know you aren't implying that.

I think that did happen last year and it was upsetting that not only can someone not vote for you, but they can also drag your votes down when they do vote. Nonsense!

If our voters do this, and I dont' think many of them do because I talked to most of our "core" of fans and told them to make sure to fill it out properly when they are drinking and to make to sure you vote for all the bands. No trickery.

Grrrrr.
7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

voting is subjective in all aspects of the competition.

do you not think that the judges are swayed in one or another? each person who has a vote that night has the right to do what they want with that vote.....very very few of which could actually be considered music critics. Bottom line is that this is an extremely imperfect competition, and I don't think that there really is a perfect way to set the battle up.

Now, if you are implying, Zach, that a certain "winner" from Tuesday night asked their fans to stuff the ballot box in a certain way.....I take offense to that.
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I can't speak for him, but I don't think he's implying that at all - and I'm definitely not! He's just saying (and I agree) the voting system isn't as good as it should be. I like the one vote, one band rule idea. You vote for your favorite and that's it. Maybe, you vote for the top two.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

I don't think he was implying that.

I think he was speaking in general terms. It's happened before and I'm sure it happens more often than we like to think.

I agree with Zach. You shouldn't have to rank the bands. You should check the box next to the band you're voting for and that's that.

Do you vote for 2nd, 3rd and 4th when casting a vote for president?
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

I am implying no such thing.

I am saying that fans are taking this action. Whether it is from the bands they are supporting that they are getting this idea, I cannot say that for sure. This is a contest wide problem, not just Tuesday night.

I'm there to vote for my favorite band, not play motherf*ckin' "Stratego".

I'm sorry I stuck two rants together earlier and I got a bit too much on your ass.
7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

thank you for the clearing that up a little bit.

it's all good.
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

When it comes to the voting system in the Battle of the Bands, I think it all ends up being kind of a "wash". Everyone is so quick to point out the potential for "fan ballot stuffing conspiracies", but, I doubt that that happens often, if ever at all. In fact, when you look at sheer numbers of voters involved, there's a much greater chance that this sort of thing could possibly happen with the JUDGES. Think about it. How many judges are there? 4 or 5? If one judge is at all biased, that's 20-25% of the judges voting. So, you could actually state the argument that the fan's voting could be more accurate, with less bias, than the judges. Here's a good example, I just noticed that a couple of bands that are still in the BOTB are also performing at the Whatzup anniversary party. Who do you think the folks from Whatzup prefer to listen to? To be fair, when those bands perform during the BOTB, nobody from Whatzup should have a vote - it's an extreme conflict of interest. When Richard's son performed during the BOTB, he did NOT vote - makes sense to me. My point is that sure, the fan voting is not exactly a perfect system, but neither is the Judge voting. Because of these imperfections, it's probably a "wash".
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

I also dislike that people are placing bands they didn't even show up to hear. There were only about 20 people left to hear The Migraines, and yet all the other ballots had them placed somewhere. How can you cast a fair vote if you didn't hear the band? You can't.

I think they should hand out ballots for each band prior to their set, and collect them following their set. Then the vote is simply a rating scale of how well you liked them, not where you would place them.
"brad!

www.bradjonesbass.com
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Conley, I've been seeing this happen every week I've been out there. I hear, "...and them last because they are really good and a lot of people are here for them." I hear it an awful lot.
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

Once again, I think it's a wash. I hear you Zach, that being the case, some of your fans may do it, as well. Once again, it's probably a wash.