ONE GREAT NIGHT IN FORT WAYNE FOR MUSIC LOVERS

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

Zach, hello? One vote per person? Sorry, bad idea. Then it truly would be a total 100% popularity contest. You make the audience sound like either a bunch of idiots, or cheaters & I think that's an unfair ASSUMPTION.
GxWxLx
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by GxWxLx »

conley wrote:Zach, hello? One vote per person? Sorry, bad idea. Then it truly would be a total 100% popularity contest.
Mike makes a good point. One vote makes it more of a popularity contest. The theory is this:

Most people come out to support a certain band, and thus, will vote that band first even if they play the worst set of their lives - the remainder of the ballot is hopefully used to pick who you thought was the best. If each person only got one vote, it'd be like you walk in, pay your $4, cast your vote and go ... then it would REALLY be a popularity contest, you wont even be able to gauge who played the best, just who brought out the most people.
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

flapjacks wrote:it sounds like i need to hear sketch machine live sometine. i wasn't a big fan of their song on essentials 9 but if they beat LLC and migraines i should probably check them out.
They're very, very good at what they do. That's where it's tough with the BOTB sometimes. There were 4 completely different bands there Tuesday. Then again, that's what I love about playing them too. You had Sketch Machine - harder edged alternative rock, us (North River Agents) - bluegrass/newgrass/alt. country, LLC - Dirty swamp Blues, and Migraines - 80's/90's bluesy metal. I would totally not expact fans of any of the four bands to be all that into any of the other 3, but most were respectful and really cool.

Almost a week later, and I'm with Shawn. Screw the competitive nature of it. 4 great bands, 4 great sets, 1 great night of original Fort Wayne Music. That's what it's about.

Note - I still think the bands should split the door each night. Everybody else is getting paid for their time and effort...
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
Massage...Bored
I Beat Up Kittens
I Beat Up Kittens

Post by Massage...Bored »

GxWxLx wrote:
conley wrote:Zach, hello? One vote per person? Sorry, bad idea. Then it truly would be a total 100% popularity contest.
Mike makes a good point. One vote makes it more of a popularity contest. The theory is this:

Most people come out to support a certain band, and thus, will vote that band first even if they play the worst set of their lives - the remainder of the ballot is hopefully used to pick who you thought was the best. If each person only got one vote, it'd be like you walk in, pay your $4, cast your vote and go ... then it would REALLY be a popularity contest, you wont even be able to gauge who played the best, just who brought out the most people.

It is anyways, its a popularity contest anyways. Just make it official! Its an easy fix as well, just make the crowd vote a lot less in the final percetage and up the judges percentage.

And Mike, its not an assumption when you witness it happening....a lot.
tony2tone
Regular
Regular

Post by tony2tone »

whatever happened to having fun with your music??

i understand it is a compition and all, but this seems a bit extreme. no matter how this is scored there are gonna be people unhappy with the outcome.
stop being scared of rap music!!
GxWxLx
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by GxWxLx »

Massage...Bored wrote:
GxWxLx wrote:

It is anyways, its a popularity contest anyways. Just make it official! Its an easy fix as well, just make the crowd vote a lot less in the final percetage and up the judges percentage.

And Mike, its not an assumption when you witness it happening....a lot.
ehh...I don't think so. Each judge carries 12.5% of the final vote, which means that any judge could, if they wanted to, have a huge effect on the overall score. I've seen judges give 25's, and I've seen judges give...well, much much lower scores. You're not going to get very far if you suck.
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

tony2tone wrote:no matter how this is scored there are gonna be people unhappy with the outcome.
conley
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by conley »

Based on this debate, you sure can tell who scores well with the judges & who scores well with the audience. Me, I'm just trying to SCORE.....Yeah, Baby!!!! (such a jock thing to say).
SHAWN
The King of ALLCAPS-Core.
The King of ALLCAPS-Core.

Post by SHAWN »

:roll:
LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. . .