ONE GREAT NIGHT IN FORT WAYNE FOR MUSIC LOVERS

Promote your show or talk about a show you saw or plan on seeing. Also make sure to post your gigs in our calendar section.

Moderators: MrSpall, bassjones, sevesd93, zenmandan

jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

The whole only supporting shows that YOUR band is playing or showing up for YOUR set & leaving or thinking because YOU'RE a performer you should NEVER pay a cover charge is a problem that local hip-hop groups, bands & dj's all face in Fort Wayne.

I know it's impossible (and costly) to support EVERYONE, especially if you have a family, needy pets or a job... but I think it's definitely something the "community" needs to get better at.
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com
david sumner
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by david sumner »

now that jericho is busy in ohio - has anyone else considered continuing his state of the scene series of meetings?

were they productive/positive in the opinion of anyone who attended?

should this be started back up again?
WOLVERINES!

[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/nodpresion/sideshowbob.jpg[/img][img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/nodpresion/fatduritz.jpg[/img]
mkelley
One Lucky Trainhopper
One Lucky Trainhopper

Post by mkelley »

I saw two bands last night (NRA and LLC) and was quite pleased with the performance of original music -- the first I had never seen before, and the last I have seen more often than I have seen my own brother in the last 6 months.

But that's not why you called.

I hate to agree with Sumner, because the girls like it when we argue, but he's dead on about the randomhero. How can this guy/gal preach about a music community showing eachother respect, and yet dish with such vitriol and venom? What night can we come see your band at the BotB?

Love wins -
MK
Sankofa
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by Sankofa »

a fun night, i'm bummed i missed sketch machine though
7WetCigarettes
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by 7WetCigarettes »

there is really no reason to get all upset. I thought we were all supposed to support each other.
music, cubs, work, eat, sleep....repeat.....
MynameisJenn
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by MynameisJenn »

david sumner wrote:now that jericho is busy in ohio - has anyone else considered continuing his state of the scene series of meetings?

didn't seem to be too productive because everyone wants to b*tch about their sh*tty turnout at their show where their band played and their band didn't get played and their fans weren't around and their music will never get air play and their their their...it seems that it was difficult to look at things as a whole when everyone has so much knowledge from THEIR own personal experience clouding the big picture and only focusing in on THEIR experience

*insert whatever pronoun you choose to when reading the word THEIR-my our his hers their(s!) ours your yours etc
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/sankofa/jennnewsig.jpg[/img]
MynameisJenn
SuperStar
SuperStar

Post by MynameisJenn »

all in all like I said before congrats to all who played
as everyone knows from last year 50% of this is based on popularity(how many friends you have to pay 4 bucks for you) and 50% is based on people who are made to listen to local music they may or may not like for most of the summer....but I think the main thing to remember is it should be 100% fun however you look at it.

I guess another thing is that randomhero-whoever it is, is most certainly entitled to his/her opinion-wasn't jojo allowed to it albeit past tense, unless you count arkface....I figure a little negative action on the board is good every once and a while right al it keeps things lively and makes me check it more frequently
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/sankofa/jennnewsig.jpg[/img]
adam atherton
Too Much Free Time
Too Much Free Time

Post by adam atherton »

that night was fun, it was a great night for local music. nuff said.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

I'd like to see a REAL battle of the bands, complete with bow staffs, machettes, nunchakus, etc.

I'd put my money on the lead singer of Coda. Why? Because he wears his sunglasses indoors AT night...AND...no one f**ks with Coda!!!
HillgrassBluebillyFTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by HillgrassBluebillyFTW »

david sumner wrote:now that jericho is busy in ohio - has anyone else considered continuing his state of the scene series of meetings?

There was ALOT of talk and no action when it came to the state of the scene meeting. Everyone had great ideas.. but no one took the initiative (sp?) to act on any of it.
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. - Romans 15

If you want to know what I am working on check out these sites:

OhSoHumorous.com
TopDailyMemes.com
RandomDailyMemes.com
BestDailyMemes.com
FortWayneMusic.om
Kwalis.com
SoHumorous.com
FailUniversity.com
FaceFullOf.com
NuZuDu.com
FireFlyGoods.com
ThePeopleBlog.com
StealMyMemes.com
DontStealMyMemes.com

More to come...
traumaqueen
Pants Goblin
Pants Goblin

Post by traumaqueen »

The_Dude wrote:I'd like to see a REAL battle of the bands, complete with bow staffs, machettes, nunchakus, etc.

I'd put my money on the lead singer of Coda. Why? Because he wears his sunglasses indoors AT night...AND...no one f*cks with Coda!!!
the ultimate venue for this, Dude:

Rex's Rendezvous in Warsaw.

you and i should organize and promote this!
it's on.............
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Spikes would be a good venue as well. Battle In The Sand!
bassjones
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by bassjones »

Anderson wrote:

There was ALOT of talk and no action when it came to the state of the scene meeting. Everyone had great ideas.. but no one took the initiative (sp?) to act on any of it.
At least one idea is being acted on, it's just going very slowly because I have so little spare time. The not-for-profit musician's fund is going to go, if I can make it happen.

I'm starting to think we need to organize (unionize) here - WHOA, I'm going to lose my Republican card for that :wink: I was thinking about this the other night... BOTB, all performers pay a fee to enter, then there are sponsors who pay a fee to have their name on the poster, then they charge $4 a head at the door to give fans the chance to enter and vote, meanwhile drinking copius quantities of alcohol at a large mark-up cost. If you get voted to move on, your fans then get to repeat the procedure...

Seems like everyone's getting paid at these things except the people who are actually drawing in the people with the money. Unless you win the whole thing, you've just provided slave labor for the venue. Hardly seems right does it?

Maumee Music Fest was different. No cover charge and the sponsorships barely paid the bills. If Ando had raked in $20G or something and not paid us, then I'd have been pissed - actually, Ando does enough for everyone around here, he could have skimmed a bit and no one would have cared at all - Jewlee too.

I guess I have a problem with bands playing for free (or even paying a fee to play) when they're the ones drawing people in. The venues making a huge profit - they host these things on off-nights so that people will come out in larger numbers than a normal off-night. The servers certainly get paid (and should), the sound guy gets paid (and should - especially Richard who rocks), etc... Everybody except the bands who everybody is there to see.

And no, this isn't sour grapes, just pointing out that C-Street and others are making a killing off this BOTB, while the bands playing get squat - again, unless you make it to the finals.
"brad!
...your tunes and your playing sound really great... all the best to you and god bless-
adam nitti" www.myspace.com/adamnittimusic

www.bradjonesbass.com
http://groups.myspace.com/northeastindianabassplayers
www.myspace.com/bassjones
www.myspace.com/whitehotnoise
www.esession.com/bradjones - hire me for your session from anywhere in the world.
The_Dude
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW
Hillgrass Bluebilly FTW

Post by The_Dude »

Well said, Brad, and I totally agree BUT I would counter with this...

You knew what you were signing up for.
jewlee138
Addict
Addict

Post by jewlee138 »

Thanks, man.

FYI - sponsorship hasn't paid ALL the bills, yet. (Still workin on it)

However, with more than 2 months lead time for 2007, you can rest assured proper compensation will not be an issue.
Hot "finger-on-keyboard" action

www.expiredmagazine.com